Arcola's STEAM (Career) Day will be held on Wednesday, March 22, 2023!
STEM education is an interdisciplinary approach to learning where rigorous academic concepts are coupled with real-world lessons as students apply science, technology, engineering, and mathematics in contexts that make connections between school, community, work, and the global enterprise enabling the development of STEM literacy and with it the ability to compete in the new economy.*
At Arcola, we add the Arts to these contexts as well. STEAM Day brings professionals into Arcola to introduce our students to careers in these areas as part of our career and college readiness curriculum.
Are you interested in speaking to students about careers? Sign up here: STEAM Day Sign-up
Please email Mark Mueller or call 610-489-5000 x30220 if you have any questions.
ResourcesPlease feel free to use the following presentation template when presenting on STEAM Day: Presentation TemplateLooking for ideas for a hands-on activity to do with students? Check out DiscoverE: http://www.discovere.org/our-activities
Frequently Asked Questions
How does STEAM Day fit into the Arcola career and college readiness curriculum?
- STEAM Day is only one component; students also learn about potential careers through the use of online tools, classroom discussions, and a job shadowing project in 8th Grade.
Where do I park?
- As you enter the campus, go straight through the stop sign until you reach main entrance to Arcola. Turn left into the parking lot and park.
When is lunch? Do I need to bring my own?
- Lunch will be provided. Your schedule will determine the time you eat lunch.
What is the difference between a half-day session and full-day session?
- A half day requires the presenter to present 3 or 4 times for approximately 2.5 hours, and a full day requires the presenter to present 7 times for 5 hours.
What time should I arrive if I am presenting for a half day?
- 8:30 a.m. for the morning session and 11:00 a.m. for the afternoon session.
What time should I arrive if I am presenting for a full day?
- 8:30 a.m.
What materials will be provided?
- Projectors, cords, smart boards, white boards, markers, Internet access, and school supplies are all available for use.
What is the average session size?
- You should expect approximately 20 students in each session.
What are some of the questions I could expect students to ask?
- What education would I need for this career?
- What special skills and training are required?
- What does your typical day look like?
- What specific school subjects are needed for this type of career?
- What advice would you give someone who was entering in this career?
- What career path did you take to get to where you are?
- What is the most interesting aspect of the job?
- What is the most challenging aspect of your job?
- Is this a career I should consider? Why/why not?
- Where does your job satisfaction come from?
- What does the market look like with regard to job availability?
- How does this career fit into Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and/or the Arts?
* Tsupros, N., R. Kohler, and J. Hallinen, 2009. STEM education: A project to identify the missing components, Intermediate Unit 1 and Carnegie Mellon, Pennsylvania.