Frequently Asked Questions about the Methacton School District's Secondary Schools' (Grades 7-12) PAY TO PARTICIPATE FEE
The Board and administration of the Methacton School District are committed to preserving extracurricular activities and athletics for our students because we believe these opportunities are integral to a well-rounded education. However, the continued restraints of Act 1, combined with stagnant revenues and funding reductions will require the continuation of the activity fee established prior to the 2010-2011 school year.
1. The "Pay to Participate Fee," will be assessed per student, only to students in grades 7-12 who participate in the following extracurricular programming:
All MHS and Arcola athletics
The MHS Marching Band (includes Jazz Band, Winter Guard, and Winter Percussion)
The MHS play and musical
Arcola Musical Participants
2. Fees for participating students will be:
- $75 - one-time fee for MHS students who participate in one or more sports, and/or applicable activities at MHS.
- $50 - one-time fee for Arcola students who participate in one or more sports and/or the Arcola musical.
1. How will this money help offset the district’s budget?
The activity fee will help reduce the overall operational costs associated with secondary extracurricular activities and athletics that otherwise may have been impacted by reduced funding.
2. How much is the fee?
The fee is $75 for MHS students who participate in one or more sports or applicable activities at MHS and $50 for Arcola students who participate in one or more sports and/or the Arcola musical.
3. What are the applicable sports and/or activities?
The fee will apply to students who participate in:
- All MHS and Arcola athletics
- The MHS Marching Band (includes Jazz Band, Winter Guard, and Winter Percussion)
- The MHS play and musical
- The Arcola musical
4. My student plays two sports; do they have to pay the fee twice?
No. This is a one-time fee per participating student.
5. I already paid the fee for my student for a fall sport; do I need to pay again in the spring for the musical?
No. Once the fee has been paid, it applies to all applicable sports and activities.
6. I think my student is paid, but they don’t remember if they took the check to school. How can I find out if we’re paid?
Families should send e-mail inquiries to confirm payment to Debbie Bennett in the MHS activities/athletics office at email@example.com or 610-489-5054.
7. When are the fees due?
Fees are due within two weeks of each season start date for athletes and within two weeks of joining or winning a part in an applicable MHS activity or the Arcola musical.
8. How do I pay the Activity Fee?
Families should use the applicable form to remit payment to MHS or Arcola, attention MHS or Arcola Pay to Participate Fee. The procedures and address can be found on the forms, available for download above.
Students may also bring their payment to school. Arcola students may bring a CHECK ONLY made payable to the Methacton School District, with completed form, to Arcola main office. MHS students may bring a CHECK ONLY made payable to the Methacton School District, with completed form, to the athletic/activities office at MHS.
9. I already pay fees to Booster organizations for my child to be involved in an extracurricular activity. Do I need to pay the activity fee if I already support my Booster organization?
Yes, the activity fee is separate from the Booster organization. Booster organizations may not pay the activity fee for their members as this will compromise the student’s amateur status and NCAA eligibility.
10. What happens if the fee is not paid?
Students who have not made prior arrangements with administration with regard to their inability to pay will become ineligible to participate in their chosen sport or activity if they have not remitted payment within the two week grace period after the start of the athletic season or activity.
11. What if I can’t afford the fee?
High school students or parents should contact the Assistant Principal of Athletics and Activities Dr. Paul Spiewak (firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-489-5054 to determine if other arrangements may be made for payment of the fee. Arcola students or parents should contact the office of the Assistant Principal Jerry Thompson at email@example.com or 610-489-5000, ext. 30213 to determine if other arrangements may be made for payment of the fee.
12. Our family receives free or reduced meals. Do I have to pay this fee?
Students who qualify for free or reduced meals are not required to pay the fee. Free and reduced lunch eligibility information can be found on the district's website here. For more information, contact Methacton Home and School Visitor, Jennifer Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.