Arcola's Gifted Seminar Program
"Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere"
Dear Parents and Students,
Hello and welcome to class! I look forward to working with Arcola's gifted students in our gifted seminar format. Gifted seminars are short units (each lasting half a marking period) that allow the student to delve into a topic or competition. Each marking period, students can choose to stay in their assigned specials area class, or they can participate in a STEM-based seminar or a humanities-based seminar. Students can also opt to pursue an area of independent study by submitting a proposal that outlines their topic, specific actionable goals, and a description of the product that they will create to demonstrate their learning. Independent study proposal forms and additional information about this year's gifted seminar offerings can be found at drmcginnis.weebly.com.
GIEP Meetings: This year three staff members will be serving as GIEP case managers. In addition to myself, Mrs. Maureen Stanko and Mrs. Abby Hollenbeck will be acting as case managers for gifted students. One of us will be in contact to arrange for a time to meet and discuss your child's GIEP.
Feel free to contact me should you have concerns or questions regarding the gifted seminar program.
- Ed.D. Educational Technology, Boise State University
- National Board Certified Teacher, Adolescent Science
- M.S. Biology, George Mason University
- M.E. Educational Technology, Boise State University
- MAT Science, Miami University
- B.S. Biology, Washington State University
- Pennsylvania Gifted Endorsement
- Online Teaching Certificate, Boise State University
Professional Experiences (Current and Previous)
- Editor, Science Scope
- Member ETS Praxis Middle School Science National Advisory Committee
- Co-Author Be a Winner! A Science Teacher's Guide to Writing Successful Grant Proposals
- Past President and Board of Directors, National Middle-Level Science Teachers Association
- Board of Directors, Pennsylvania Science Teacher Association
- National Science Teacher Association Division Director for Middle-Level Science Teaching, 2012-2015
- Paul DeHart Hurd Award for National Middle School Science Teacher of the Year
- Pennsylvania Teacher of the Year Semi-Finalist
- Montgomery County Middle School Science Teacher of the Year
- National Honor Society Outstanding American Teacher
- Educator 500 (3E Institute) 3-time Awardee
- Environmental Excellence Award, Elmwood Park Zoo
- Unsung Heroes Award
- Animalearn Humane Educator of the Year
- NOAA Teacher at Sea
- Montgomery County Middle School STEM Teacher of the Year