Progress Update 4-25-17During the April 25, 2017 meeting of the Board of School Directors, Superintendent Dr. David Zerbe and members of his administrative team presented the Board with a detailed review of progress made in the strategic objectives scheduled to be completed during the first year of the Strategic Plan, as well as providing a look ahead at goal work in the coming year.
Progress Update 3-21-17
final revision of the communications assessment survey was completed, and
tested by the committee in February 2017.
The distribution of the survey will be delayed until later this spring in order to allow communications to focus on the distribution of information related to school transition.
district-wide audit of communications tools and methods is complete and will be
shared with building principals and members of the communications committee so
that recommendations for improved consistency among buildings can be
newsletter focused on Community Education and other programs of interest to
area seniors was developed and distributed to key contacts at local area
retirement communities in order to further increase outreach to these important
electronic job submittal form was developed with support from the school
counseling office at Methacton High School. This form will be distributed to
area businesses and the Chamber of Commerce to promote internships and job
opportunities for MHS students. Placements and positions will then be posted on
a new online job board for students.
first MLK Day of Service was well received by area non-profits, with more than
100 Methacton students and faculty volunteers participating. Plans are in place
to make this program an annual event, furthering the district’s partnership
with area businesses and organizations that serve community needs.
Efforts to coordinate communications strategies and increase consistencies among home and school associations will be delayed for a period of one month as home and school leadership is focused on planning for the upcoming elementary school transition.
Progress Update 12-20-16
- District parents, faculty, administrators, and community members who volunteered to assist the district with this goal area through participation on the Communications Committee held their first meeting on December 12, 2016. The group reviewed a draft communications assessment survey planned for distribution in January of 2017. Several recommendations were to ensure that the survey is accessible to individuals without access to the internet, as well as those for whom English is not their first language.
- A district-wide audit of communications tools and methods is underway. Building principals are compiling lists of communications that are distributed at the building and classroom level, and a list of all district communications, methods, and tools at the district level is also being similarly prepared.
- Plans are to evaluate the varied tools and make recommendations to improve consistency. Moreover, in an effort to support communications that are distributed via the district’s home and school associations, conversations are taking place with Methacton Coordinating Council leaders in order to help facilitate consistency in this area as well.
- Final planning is underway for the inaugural Methacton High School Martin Luther King Day of Service event. The event, organized by administrators and faculty with other local support, will take place on January 16. Students will work alongside faculty and parent volunteers supporting local organizations through projects at Meadowood Senior Living, St. James Outreach, Greenfield Retirement Home, the Mitzvah Circle Foundation, and others.
- In an effort to increase the district’s outreach to the district’s senior citizen population, a special Breakfast and Methacton High School Art Show preview program was added to the varied senior-focused offerings presented by the district’s Community Education Program. Seniors will have breakfast at Methacton High School, followed by an exclusive tour of the spring MHS art show conducted by student artists and art teachers. Other offerings include the popular Thanksgiving Luncheon in the winter, and Senior Citizens’ Dinner Theater in the spring.
Progress Update 11-3-16District parents, faculty, administrators, and community members have already volunteered to assist the district with this goal area through participation on the Communications Committee. This group will begin meeting in December 2016 with a goal to distribute a communications assessment survey in January of 2017. The annual notice of the district’s communications tools was distributed in October. Families were notified in October of a scheduled test of the district’s emergency communications system on November 6. The district’s new website was also launched. This new, responsive design, has an eye toward a more user friendly, up to date, and technologically convenient interface for users.In order to improve family access to district programming, student volunteers began their training and work supporting families who need child care in order to participate in meetings and events within the district. With a further focus on community relations, a committee was formed at high school to begin planning a Martin Luther King Day of service event at Methacton.
- Planning is underway to organize and encourage local internships and jobs for Methacton High School students in an effort to increase outreach to area businesses and community leaders. A web page for students to find postings is being developed, as well as a method for local companies to submit job postings easily online.
- A final revision of the communications assessment survey was completed, and tested by the committee in February 2017.