Math in Focus
Math in Focus, also known as Singapore Math, is a research-based program that covers skills and concepts in depth with an emphasis on student problem solving.
English Language Arts (ELA)
Third-grade students will develop skills in the areas of reading, writing, listening and speaking. One of our resources is a program called Storytown. Students will:
Our main focus in the Social Studies curriculum is communities. We learn about rural, urban and suburban communities around the country and the world. We also study communities of the past and how those communities originated.Science
- Use dictionary, glossary, and thesaurus
- Analyze and compare fiction and non-fiction literature
- Develop comprehension skills: determine main idea and details, make predictions and inferences, use context clues and locate information
- Read multi-syllabic words including prefixes, suffixes, and root words
- Apply spelling, punctuation and capitalization skills
- Read text with appropriate speed, accuracy and expression
- Compose narrative, descriptive, and expository pieces of writing
- Practice the writing process: prewrite, draft, revise, edit, and publish
- Students will also lean cursive writing in third grade.
In the Earth’s Resources unit, students investigate water on earth and the importance of its care. Students describe land as a natural resource and explore the effects of nature on land. Students come to understand air as a natural resource, including the importance of the atmosphere. Students also learn about roles of living things, including relationships among living things.