The Educator Effectiveness System (24 P.S. § 11-1123 – Act 82 – 2012) is designed to evaluate classroom teachers, non-teaching professional educators, and principals/school leaders. The building level data are included as part of their evaluations. The School Performance Profile academic performance score comprises 15% of each classroom teacher and principal/school leader and 20% for each non-teaching professional’s Educator Effectiveness final rating.The score for a school is based upon indicators that define a high performing school. Many data elements come together to create the academic score. These elements are categorized into five areas.The first three areas represent 50 percent of the school academic performance score:
- Indicators of Academic Achievement - Include PSSA/PASA/Keystone performance, industry standards-based competency assessments, grade three reading proficiency, and SAT/ACT college ready benchmarks.
- Indicators of Closing the Achievement Gap - All Student scores are used to define how well a school is making progress toward proficiency of all students.
- Indicators of Closing the Achievement Gap - Historically Underperforming Students’ scores are used to define how well a school is making progress toward proficiency of those students who have historically not demonstrated proficiency.
This category represents 40 percent of the school academic performance score:
- Indicators of Academic Growth/PVAAS - Measures the school’s impact on the academic achievement level of groups of students from year-to-year. This category represents 10 percent of the school academic performance score:
- Other Academic Indicators - Assesses factors that contribute to student achievement (e.g., graduation rate, promotion rate, attendance rate).
Schools may earn up to 7 additional points via Extra Credit for Advanced Achievement based upon advanced performance on state and industry assessments, as well as for students earning a 3 or higher on an Advanced Placement exam or 4 or higher on an International Baccalaureate exam.